Beyond drinking just filtered water, there are several studies that suggest that drinking alkaline water may offer additional health benefits.
Water is essential to the everyday functioning of our bodies. Making up approximately 60% of our body weight, this miraculous elixir assists with many of the body’s important daily functions including flushing waste out of our body, regulating temperature and helping brain function.
Performing such an important function, it makes sense ensuring the water you are drinking is the healthiest it can be. Beyond drinking just filtered water, there are several studies that suggest that drinking alkaline water may offer additional health benefits.
So we ask, why drink alkaline water?
Relief from acid reflux
A 2012 study1 was found that drinking alkaline water with a pH of 8.8 may have therapeutic benefits for patients with reflux disease. It was found that alkaline water may help deactivate pepsin, the main enzyme that causes acid reflux.
Lowers fatigue levels post intense exercise
A recent study2 of 100 participants found that there was significant difference in whole blood viscosity after drinking high pH alkaline water compared to regular water post workout.
This meant blood flowed more efficiently with alkaline water thus increasing oxygen delivery throughout the body and leaving you feeling less fatigued post workout.
Relief from high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol
Another study3 suggested that drinking alkaline ionized water may have benefits for people with high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.
The levels of blood pressure, blood sugar and blood lipids decreased significantly even to normal ranges after 3-6 months of drinking alkaline ionized water in the test sample.
Limits contaminant exposure
There are wide gaps in the research into the effects of contaminant exposure in water on humans4.
Given the uncertainty, drinking alkaline water will limit any potential risk and protect the body from exposure to:
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as pesticides and herbicides
- Heavy metals
- Endocrine disrupting chemicals such as fluoride
- Hormones and cysts
Given only the small number of studies undertaken, more research is required to validate the benefits of drinking alkaline water however the many advocates of alkaline water believe the health benefits are more extensive and includes:
- Reduces acidity (balancing pH) in the body which works to improve overall health and fitness
- Anti-aging properties (via liquid antioxidants that absorb more quickly into the human body)
- Immune system support
- Hydration, skin health, and other detoxifying properties
- Weight loss
- Koufman JA & Johnston N: Potential benefits of pH 8.8 alkaline drinking water as an adjunct in the treatment of reflux disease (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22844861)
- WANG Yu-lian (First Hospital of Shanghai Textile, Shanghai 200060, China): Preliminary observation on changes of blood pressure, blood sugar and blood lipids after using alkaline ionized drinking water (http://en.cnki.com.cn/Article_en/CJFDTOTAL-SHYI200112005.htm)
- Cristina M. Villanueva, Manolis Kogevinas, Sylvaine Cordier, Michael R. Templeton, Roel Vermeulen, John R. Nuckols, Mark J. Nieuwenhuijsen & Patrick Levallois: Assessing Exposure and Health Consequences of Chemicals in Drinking Water: Current State of Knowledge and Research Needs (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3948022/)
It's easy to change your cartridge with Pure Water Systems' handy instructions. We make replacing and changing your water filter cartridge pure and simple. BENCH......
Bench Top Water Filters are easy to DIY install and can be connected to almost any tap. For most other systems, a licensed plumber is......
Our filtration systems are an environmentally friendly and economical alternative for healthy, great tasting water. Our carbon filtration method uses water pressure to force the......